Thursday, November 29, 2007

Perseverance

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. That was a great motto growing up...I don't remember where I heard it, but I have a feeling it may have been from one of my childhood cartoons. Basically it put perseverance in my head and kept me positive enough to keep trying new things and perfect the things that I wasn't necessarily the best at. I'm a competitive person by nature, and even though sometimes I find myself insecure or a bit crestfallen at not being good or great at something, I still relish the challenge of continuing to try and learn. Opera singers continue to study voice, even when they've "made it" because there is always something to learn or "perfect"...you also have to consider that singing requires a great deal of muscle and agility that people don't realize. It's training just like any other competitive sport...You wouldn't run the Boston Marathon if you had never jogged a day in your life. So my challenge is to not rest on my laurels and really persist on to becoming the best singer I can be...really push myself even harder now that we're coming into the home stretch of my upcoming performance...yet at the same time keeping myself healthy and well rested so that I have the stamina it takes to truly give it my all. I know it sounds like I'm asking alot from myself, but there's no harm in trying.

No comments: