Friday, April 11, 2008

I want a Bagel.

It's hard to live in NYC and not eat bagels. I was never even a bagel person until I moved here and then it took control of my senses. So many different types to indulge in...a Cinnamon Raisin Bagel with just plain butter, or peanut butter, or even worse cinnamon raisin nut cream cheese...an Everything Bagel with scallion cream cheese or bacon, egg & cheese on it...talk about loaded with fat and calories. Heck I'd even settle for a plain bagel toasted with butter...but no! Bagels are definitely not on my eating plan. Eventually, when I've reached a substantial weight goal, I'll allow myself a multi-grain bagel with low-fat scallion or veggie cream cheese, but until then I will avoid the carb & fat laden food for another time. It was said the other day that a regular bagel with cream cheese is equivalent to the fat and calories in 19 pieces of bacon...blech...that was enough to hold me from the temptation. Oh and the other night I had a dream about eating a jelly centered danish...what the? Seriously, my brain has been doing a number on me...and I don't even eat danishes...hardly ever...maybe one every three years...if that. In fact I think I've had a jelly centered danish about the equivalent of 5 times in my lifetime, so that's generally not my cup of tea. I'm also not a sweets craver, except for the occasional chocolate fix during that time of the month. I'm more of a salty junk eater; that's my Achilles heal, if you must know. In fact, it was junk food that got me to my heaviest of all times. I mean I practically lived on Taco Bell, Burger King, KFC, and McDonalds...not to mention the occasional sandwich shop of Quiznos & Schlotzky's. I was seriously addicted and I washed it all down with soda, generally a Dr. Pepper or a Cherry Coke. Now I never even touch fast food. I rarely even eat fried foods, much less junk foods, and if there's an option, I generally go for the baked variety of junk. Because yes, even baked chips are still crap for the body, but at least lower in saturated fats.

I haven't really discussed my eating plan for the MDC, so I'll lay it out right now. It's pretty simple and basic. Lean meats, low-glycemic veggies, legumes, and some low-fat dairy. I'm currently avoiding anything that's going to mess with the blood sugar, so that I can maintain my evenness of mood and feeling. If you've read past blogs, you may be aware of the fact that diabetes and heart disease run rampant in my family...And from experience over the years, I know that the best way to maintain a healthy body and a sound mind, is to eat foods that take time to breakdown in the system in order to keep the blood sugar even and distributing equally. So that's it...and a Bagel, does not a good choice make. Thus my avoidance of it and any other highly carb and sugar loaded goodies out there...including my beloved potatoes. I'm of German Irish decent...potatoes are in my blood...and what person doesn't love a good side of fries, mashed potatoes, hash browns, or even a simple baked potato, of course laden with lots of butter. Yeah...not idea for the blood sugar, much less the cardiovascular system that likes to keep the arteries clear for pumping blood to and from the heart. Plus the lovely side-effects of eating lean proteins and lots of green veggies, is that it makes it "easy" to lose unwanted blubber. Haha...right, "easy"...like planning, cooking, and eating authorized meals is easy while busting your ass at the gym. If it was easy, then the pharmaceutical companies would be out of business, everyone would be fit and healthy, and nap time would be mandatory for all companies...lol. Ok maybe that last one was a bit of a stretch...but wouldn't it be nice to have the option to take a nap in the middle of the day when working the corporate grind...followed by (in my case) a long night at the theatre.

Today's plan: Eat my healthy authorized meals (which I'm about to have my second meal), exercise (I think I'll either take fat-burning pilates at 12 or interval train around 2pm), coach for my upcoming competition, take my supplements, and get some much needed rest. I didn't get home until late last night due to it being Opening night of "Fanciulla del West" followed by the opening night party. I was pretty good too...I avoided all alcohol and other empty carbs like bread...instead I had a little anti-pasta and a diet coke. I love that it's called anti-pasta, because it truly is...no pasta or generally breads involved...just an array of meats, cheeses, olives and other grilled or pickled veggies...of course I only had a little because it's generally high in fat or covered in olive oil. So I did good, because you know I really wanted to drink along with everyone else and eat my weight in bread & cheese.

The rest of the weekend will be busy with more performances, costume shoots, coachings and of course planned eating & exercise...and the avoidance of the dreaded Bagel...wish me luck...lol...you know I'll be fine!

Have a great weekend!
-Bex

2 comments:

R.Shack said...

You WILL resist that bagel, not worth it right? (Even though a cheddar bagel sounds good all of a sudden).

Your plan sounds really sound.

I hope you have a great weekend, even though it'll be busy :)

Take care,
Rose

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how as soon as you know you "can't" have something, it's the only thing you want? Even when it's something you might not have wanted to begin with? I used to dream about food, in the early early days of this whole process. I wonder why I quit? Hm...

You're going strong, though. I'm proud of you - it's hard enough to resist a craving without being surrounded by that food.

Your eating plan sounds a lot like mine except I think I eat more carbs. I do eat a lot of whole grains, but otherwise it sounds pretty similar.

Your "weaknesses" sound a lot like mine, too! Definitely salty, crunchy, crispy junk...and lots, LOTS of potatoes! :-) Growing up, we had potatoes with literally every meal and I was stunned when I met DH and discovered that not everyone did that! It's still hard for me to leave them alone but after two years of this, it's a lot easier than it used to be. I still like them...but I'm not in love with them anymore.

I guess it's true, you really can get used to just about anything.

I'm rambling again, aren't I? D#$##@ed ADD!

Hope you have had a lovely weekend!

V.