Monday, October 29, 2007

D-day

That's right kids I'm back from a quick weekend tour and it's D-day: as in Disembarkment Day...DETOX Day...Diet Day? Ok, that last one stinks. Don't you hate that last word? Diet? That 4 letter word has become a 4 letter word to a lot of people...it really has been given a bad connotation yet is perfectly harmless in meaning:



diet (1)
"regular food," c.1225, from O.Fr. diete, from M.L. dieta "parliamentary assembly," also "a day's work, diet, daily food allowance," from L. diaeta "prescribed way of life," from Gk. diaita, originally "way of life, regimen, dwelling," from diaitasthai "lead one's life," and from diaitan, originally "separate, select" (food and drink), freq. of *diainysthai "take apart," from dia- "apart" + ainysthai "take," from PIE base *ai- "to give, allot." Often with a sense of restriction since 14c.; hence put (someone) on a diet (c.1440). The verb meaning "to regulate oneself as to food" (especially against fatness) is from 1660. An obsolete word for this is banting (q.v.). The adj. in this sense (Diet Coke, etc.) is from 1963, originally Amer.Eng.



That's what I plan to do; EAT "regular food" in small to moderate portions, 5 to 6 times a day. No pills, potions, packaged or processed foods...whole foods, organic if I can get them. I'm just cutting out the crap and letting the body detox & re-balance itself. No sugars, flours, hydrogenated or high-fructose anything. Lean proteins, green & colorful veggies, with some low-fat dairy thrown in for the next two weeks. After those couple of weeks are over, then I'll slowly start adding in the complex carbohydrates, like a piece of fruit with dinner. Why the slow add pace? To see how much insulin MY body can truly process before it stores it on my hips or around my waist.


I'm also starting the resistance training this week. Jake will be back today from sunny Florida (I did miss him terribly). He kindly called me on Saturday while laying on the beach to let me know that I'll see him tonight around 8 pm, so perhaps we'll get in some weight training after-all? Just a note: While he was laying on the sunny beach, I was riding on a bus in the cold & damp northeast *sigh*. It's all right, I had fun anyway (I always do!) And looks like I'll be having fun tonight too...YAY working-out, I just LOVE working-out (keep telling yourself that and someday you'll believe it).


So now you know the plan and the goals. I'll be doing it in 12 week increments, so this is now Day 1 of Week 1 of Phase 1...lol..We're #1...sorry couldn't help it...I'm still very groggy from the LONG weekend and way too many hours on a tour bus.

No comments: