Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 2 and Fructose?

So it's day 2 of being back on the straight and narrow of shaping up, and boy am I tired.  That's the problem, I've been tired for the past 3 weeks or so and unmotivated to eat well or exercise.  Thankfully I live in NYC, so you can't help but be active...My commute alone keeps me walking briskly and climbing up and down stairs.  I didn't work-out as hard as I had planned yesterday, but I did burn calories by going out of my way and walking at any open moments in my day.  Plus I love walking when the weather is sunny and beautiful...NYC in Spring / Summer is great! (Fall's not so bad either).

My eating was decent yesterday, and I'm happy about the added green juice in there.  Micronutrients are so important, and an all green juice is a quick and easy way to introduce them into your diet.  Go Green!

I got a call yesterday and found out that my friend's father, who has been sick for several months, has a fructose allergy.  He's not allowed any fruit or products containing fructose and is finally getting better.  I know that sugar intolerance is very common, but I didn't know it could be a direct fructose type allergy and intolerance (two different things).  I'm going to read up on this and find out more, I find this fascinating (see article at bottom of this post). 

Personally I don't generally have fruit in my diet because I react to all sugars due to my family's history of hypo & hyperglycemia (diabetes).  I have found that if I stay away from simple carbs, sugars and glutens, I function well.  I have a feeling that the reason I haven't been feeling well this past month has EVERYTHING to do with my crappy diet.  I shall continue down the low carb path and see where it takes me.

I'm also keeping my caffeine intake down, because its been shown in studies to increase excess insulin in the body.  Oh and alcohol is out, unless I'm cleaning a wound with it or something  : /


Food Log:
8am - decaf coffee w/half & half and sweet & low
10am - 2 hard boilded eggs w/salt
2pm - baked, breadless chicken wings w/buffalo sauce
5pm - decaf coffee w/half & half and sweet & low


Activity Log:
15 minutes walking at 3.0 pace
30 minutes walking at 3.0 pace

Day 2 weight:  147.5 lbs  (down 3.5 lbs)


ALLERGY TO FRUCTOSE (an article from LivingStrong.com)

Fructose, or fruit-based sugar, is the most commonly used sugar in food products. Most table sugar is made from cane, which is a plant-based sugar. An allergy to fructose can make it difficult for someone to find foods that are safe to eat without experiencing adverse reactions. According to Allergy Escape, the most common food allergies are to eggs, milk, yeast, wheat, corn, soy and sugar. An allergy to fructose will have similar signs and symptoms to that of other food allergies. Talk with your doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Cause

A fructose allergy is a malfunction of the immune system where the body doesn't recognize certain substances in the sugar. The immune system mistakes fructose as a harmful substance and attacks it with IgE antibodies. The antibodies start a reaction in the body that causes certain cells in soft tissue to produce histamine. The release of histamine in turn results in inflammation and irritation in the nose, throat, lungs, skin and mouth, according to MayoClinic.com.

Symptoms

Symptoms of a fructose allergy appear within minutes after ingesting the sugar. The most common symptoms of a fructose allergy are digestive issues, respiratory complications and skin rashes. Digestive issues include vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain and cramping, according to Allergy Escape. Respiratory complications may include asthma, nasal congestion and eye irritation. Common skin rashes that can develop are hives and eczema, causing the skin to swell and become itchy.

Diagnosis

To diagnose a fructose allergy, you will have to see an allergist. An allergist will perform a skin and blood test to determine if the symptoms are from a genuine allergic reaction to fructose. The skin test will show irritation in the skin when the fructose is injected, and the blood test will show increased levels of IgE antibodies when the sugar is consumed.

Consideration

A fructose allergy should not be confused with fructose intolerance. Fructose intolerance does not involve an immune-system reaction. It is the body's inability to properly process the sugar and typically leads to digestive complications, according to Medline Plus. Only a medical doctor can determine if you have a true fructose allergy.

Warning

MayoClinic.com warns that a severe allergic reaction to fructose can lead to death. Signs and symptoms that are alarming are hives, swelling of the throat, lips or tongue, a sudden drop in blood pressure, dizziness and feeling faint. If these symptoms develop, get immediate medical attention.


References

Allergy Escape: Food Allergy

MayoClinic.com: Food Allergy

Medline Plus: Fructose Intolerance

Article reviewed by Eric Lochridge Last updated on: Nov 1, 2010

No comments: