My personal approach is to detox, eat lean, green and healthy, and to not forget those calorie shedding moments in the gym. Today I started back with a mostly lean protein, green veggie diet with a morning fruit/green protein shake in the morning (also great for a pre-workout shake).
Jackie Warner's Secret Shake:
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 cup frozen berries (I like a higher Strawberry ratio in this)
- 1/2 tbsp. Flaxseed Oil
- 1 tbsp. L-Carnitine (I like the rasberry liquid version from Vitamin Shoppe)
- 1 tsp. BCAA
- 1 tsp. L-Glutamine
- 1 Scoop of Whey Protein (the lowest carb version you can find...I use Zero Carb Isopure Vanilla)
This is such a great start to my day, and really gets my metabolism going. I have my shake at 7am and I'm easily hungry again by 9am, so then onto egg whites or 0% Greek yogurt.
Here's a sample of my daily nutrition on this lean diet and the work-outs I get in:
- 7am - the not so "Secret Shake"
- 9am - 3 Egg whites (and a nice cup of hot green tea)
- 11am - 0 % Greek Yogurt
- 1pm - Chicken Breast and mixed veggies (mostly green and cauliflower)
- 2pm (30 minute Guerrilla Cardio at the gym on the Treadmill)
- 3pm - 10 to 15 raw almonds (maybe another cup of green tea)
- 6pm - Portabella Mushroom "pizza" with lean ground beef bolognese and skim shredded mozzarella (I make my own bolognese because I can control what goes into the sauce, keep the sugar out, add the protein in and keep it low fat.)
- 7pm (Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD)
During this phase, I keep my dairy intake low (it contains lactose), drink tons of water (at least 64 oz), cut all sodas (diet, I never drink regular) out, drink 1-2 cups of green tea per day, and try to keep the rest of the day low in caffeine and sodium (too much caffeine induces the liver to produce excess insulin plus can increase cortisol, and sodium keeps us puffy).