Thursday, March 18, 2010

Updates, updates, updates



















Ok...so what's on the agenda for the singing career, fatness, and other such things?

Well on the Fatness part, I've only been averaging about 3 times a week with the work-outs...so I'm just holding at my weight pattern at the moment. My mom is here visiting NYC until the 23rd and after she's gone, I'll get back to at least 5 times a week.

The singing career has taken an interesting turn, I've got an audition for a "jingle" gig tonight and if I get it, I'll be very happy :) Who knows, maybe I'll be singing your favorite commercial jingle in the near future...lol. Other singing news...Musetta (La Boheme) has been moved to November 2010. Should be a good show with orchestra and fun, funky costumes. Also, I'm working on the whole getting back into the Musical Theatre front and am preparing Carlotta to audition with for Phantom of the Opera in the next couple of months. Oh, and I've got a cabaret gig in May at Don't Tell Mama's here in NYC...so that promises to be fun. Not to mention the new burlesque troop I've started...you've gotta see this one, talk about sexy chic! So I guess there's lots of singing going on, but not necessarily in the Opera world. I wonder what my voice teacher is thinking with me singing all of these "unorthodox" styles?

Ok, so there's the latest in the world of Not a Fat Opera Singer...send good thoughts this way, and especially for the world of Opera, we're having a bit of a rough time in the current media heavy world, and our audience is dying off, and thus all the new productions and jobs with it. I'm afraid we've got a sick if not dying art form on our hands. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I hear & see so many terrible things involving the Opera biz for the past couple of years and with all the companies that closed last year, it looks as if we're in serious trouble. So go out and support your local opera company and bring a friend...you'll experience great beauty and help an art form that has been around for centuries. Oooh...I almost forgot, talk about sexy chic, if you haven't already, check out http://www.operamanhattan.com/,
they're young, hip and chic and I know they will help change the face of Opera and bring it into the 21st Century.

Have a great day,
Bex

(PS the photo is of the new, modern version of La Boheme coming up in November...lots of surprises and fun events surrounding this production, that you won't want to miss. I'll keep you updated as we get closer.)

No comments: